Despite the last few days of cold, spring is right around the corner. That means that we are about to start spring cleaning and packing away all our winter coats and blankets.
It also means that we need to make sure our cars are ready for spring. We’ll show you how.
- Check your tyres
- All-season tyres stiffen in cold temperature, which could cause cracks and other damage. You can take your car to any auto service retailer for a tyre inspection.
- While you’re there, you can have them rotate your tyres and check the tyre pressure for you. Of course, when you take your car for a service at CMH Honda Auto Pinetown we’ll do this for you at no cost.
- Check your wiper blades
- The average life expectancy of a wiper blade is six months, and since the blade is used to wipe away dirt and debris to give the driver an unobstructed view of the road, it is imperative that your wiper blades are not dried out and make full contact with the windshield.
- While you’re at it, you might as well check and top up your windshield wiper fluid.
- Check your car’s brakes
- Even if you don’t think the brakes need to be checked, it can’t hurt to play it safe. Any grinding noise or shudder when applying the brakes should immediately be looked at by your nearest service centre.
- Change the oil and oil filter
- Some car manufacturers recommend changing to a heavyweight oil in warmer temperatures. It is also recommended that you change your oil filter every time you change the oil, since it’s obvious that an old filter won’t keep new oil clean.
- Check your owner’s manual for the right oil for your car.
- Clean the underbody
- We all clean and wax our cars right before spring to have it looking its absolute best, but we forget about the underbody. Spray it down or take it to an automatic car was to get all the salt build up removed from the undercarriage.
- Flush and fill your cooling system
- The normal recommendation for flushing your car’s cooling system is once every two years. And by simply draining the radiator, you are not doing enough.
- You need to flush the system with a radiator flush product that will remove stubborn dirt and grease and the refill it with coolant mixed accordingly.
- Check your air conditioner
- A good tip to follow when it comes to your air conditioner is to let it run for about 15 minutes once a month. This ensures that it remains active and also helps you ensure that you will are kept cool during the blazing hot summer days that are coming.
- Check the battery and spark plugs
- Dirty spark plugs and battery terminals can cause misfiring (which wastes fuel) and leave you stranded with a car that won’t start.
- If the battery and spark plugs are more than two years old and you’re planning on doing a long trip – it is recommended that you replace both the battery and spark plugs before your departure.
- Change your air filter
- A dirty air filter can cause an unpleasant odour in the cabin and even affect the performance of your car.
- Clean the cabin
- Don’t forget to give the inside of your car a proper spring cleaning too to get rid of forgotten wrappers n every nook and cranny.
These tips are only the tip of the iceberg and there are many more that you can follow to get your car ready for warmer weather, but it should give you a place to start.